Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Inside Gouging - Bell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Richard

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-04-21

PostSubject: Inside Gouging - Bell   Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:27 pm

I turned my little bell yesterday and finished turning the outside. It was beautiful.
When I tried to turn the inside, I got all "catched up" with my only bowl gouge.
What have I done wrong, again?
Richard, the Beginner
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Inside Gouging - Bell   Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:55 pm

First we need to know, does your gouge profile look like this

Or like this

It could be a couple of things, if you have a profile on it like the first picture, you will be fighting with the tips of the wings getting in the wrong place at the wrong time. If it is like the bottom picture it could be either the angles ground on it, or just your tool presentation. I would really like to get together some time to go over some of the basics and also the sharpening of the tools.

A couple videos for you to look at. They are using a spindle gouge for the hollowing in these.

Dave
Back to top Go down
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Inside Gouging - Bell   Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Like the person in the video, I also use a spindle gouge for end grain hollowing in small boxes, goblets etc. It took some practice to get the technique down, but once you get it, it's a very easy and satisfying method for hollowing. I even use it for initial hollowing inside hollow forms, where most of the hollowing is done blind.

You may be able to clean up the bell with a scraper. My scraper of choice for this would be the Sorby tear drop on one of their multi-tools. Assuming that the opening is large enough to accommodate. Proper use of a round nose scraper would be another route. I would practice on some scrap wood first.

I would take Dave up on the generous offer to work with you one on one. Working with a more experienced turner can really speed up the learning process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inside Gouging - Bell   

Back to top Go down

Inside Gouging - Bell
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Turning Talk-
Jump to: