Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

tung Oil Application

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Richy2

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: tung Oil Application   Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:57 pm

I just bought some tung Oil, what is the best way to apply it to a bowl? Should I just apply it the way I do Myland friction polish, or should I remove it from the lathe first?

Back to top Go down
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: tung Oil Application   Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Flood it on and let penetrate, then wipe off excess. You can do it on the lathe, not running, but you will probably get some tung oil on your lathe. Be very careful with any rags or paper towels that get the oil on them. They can create a fire. My MIL almost had her house burn down from some rags soaked with oil finish. She hung them out to dry/cure, but didn't leave them long enough before putting them in the garbage can in the garage. Luckily the dog woke her up before the house burned down. Lots of smoke damage though.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: tung Oil Application   Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:05 pm

Yeah, what Doug said!

Dave
Back to top Go down
Gary

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: tung Oil Application   Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:35 pm

My only experience is with old masters 100% tung oil. It takes it a couple of days to dry if not thinned. I have been thinning it about 25% and waiting at least 24 hrs between coats.
If you are going to buff wait several days.
Gary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tung Oil Application   

Back to top Go down

tung Oil Application
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Finishing-
Jump to: