Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Grizzly lathe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Richy2

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Grizzly lathe?   Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:07 pm

I am thinking about getting a Grizzle lathe, what is every body's ideas on a Grizzley lathe, Dave you allready told me your oppinion.

Back to top Go down
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Grizzly lathe?   Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Which one? They carry several different models.

I've never had the opportunity to turn on one, or even seen one in the wild. I think the most common complaint I hear about them on the forums is the low end speed is too fast. Makes it difficult/unsafe to turn larger unbalanced blanks.

I see that their G4062 has a low speed of 600. They list the HP as 2, which is probably overated with it being 14a 110V. Looks like a Reeves drive for speed control, the website doesn't say, but the configuration looks like one. The price is right, if the Reeves is not problematical, and you can live with the 600 RPM bottom end.

Of course, if you are talking about their 16 42 variable speed, that is a non issue.

Personally, I think I'd wait and get a Nova, Jet or other well regarded brand. I don't think I've ever hear anyone recommend any of the Griz lathes. Like I said, I've never even seen a Griz lathe, I'm just going by what I have read on the forums and on Griz's website. Now, if you are talking about bandsaws, I can happily recommend the G0555. I have one of those, and love it.
Back to top Go down
ddt

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Grizzly lathe?   Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:34 am

it is the same as theharborfright lathe that you have
save your money and buy a jet or a power matic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grizzly lathe?   

Back to top Go down

Grizzly lathe?