Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What's everybody up to?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: What's everybody up to?   Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:26 pm

I haven't seen much traffic on the site lately. What kinds of projects are ya'll doing? I just picked up a Sorby Hollowmaster and a Vari-grind jig and have been trying them out. I've been trying to get the last of the curly pear stock roughed out before it goes over to punky. I've turned several hollow forms from it, and unfortunately been a little too impatient and finished a couple before they were completely dry. I've had to remount and return one, and will probably have to do the same with another.

I have discovered one thing. When I've had cracks develop on the roughed out pieces, I've been putting 2lb cut shellac on the cracks. The wood swells from the alcohol, but the shellac seems to hold it in place as it drys. The result is that the medium and small width cracks virtually disappear. The larger cracks become much less obvious. After the shellac completely dries, I hit the area with some thin CA just in case the shellac isn't up to strain if the wood wants to move again later. I'm sure the shellac interferes with the absorption of the CA, but it doesn't keep it out completely, so I use it as insurance.

Here's one of my latest hollow forms:

Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody up to?   Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Looking good there Doug!

I just got out to the shop for the first time in like a week or so. I had someone over that needed a bunch of boards plained down to 3/4". As I type this I have a chunk of maple on the lathe awaiting my return to the shop. As some of you may know, I met a guy who makes and sells some really fine guitars. Upon talking with him one night, I came up with an idea for a mini drum sander to sand the necks. The maple in the garage is about to become that drum. It turns out that the fret board actually has a slight bead to it, from one side to the other. Heck, unless you took a straight edge to it, you would probably never notice it. Here's a link to his website if anyone wants to check it out. https://www.aquilacustomguitars.com/

As soon as I get this project finished, I'm going to give the stave hollow form a shot. If all goes right, I should have one completed by next weekend. Keep the fingers crossed for me.

That pretty much sums up my time spent in the shop, for the last 2 months. It's just been to busy around here, or to cold.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody up to?   Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:00 pm

bounce bounce Well I haven't done hardly anything in the shop. but now that it is warming up I am starting to do some stoppers and I am going to turn a couple of goblets for the wife. maybe if I have time I will also turn a small bowl or two.

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Southernlyon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: In-Lace   Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:37 pm

I've been trying to keep up with a pile of suprise orders (this is February! Who needs to restock in early Febraury?) But I've just about finished the "valentine orders" and am starting to catch up on corkscrews.

The fun thing lately though is working with In-Lace resin. I did some ornamental stripey kind of stuff (highly technical term) on a maple box, and for a first atempt, I'm pretty pleased. Oh, for those of you interested in trying out in-lace, the directions say to work in a well-ventilated area. They are not kidding in any way shape or form. Once I've got the box totaly finished, I'll bring it to the meeting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernlyondesigns.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's everybody up to?   

Back to top Go down

What's everybody up to?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Turning Talk-
Jump to: