Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Crap!!!!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Crap!!!!!!!!   Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:47 pm

I went out and bought some wood this week. Wenge, purpleheart, and lacewood. I went and cut a pen blank out of the lacewood, scratched the tubes up, glued them in, waited 5 minutes. Then I took the barrel trimmer (it being in my cordless drill) to the first half, zap!!!! the wood just shattered. Being I had nothing to lose at this point, I tried the second one, same problem. So, what gives here, besides the wood. Keep in mind I was working with 3/4" squared stock. Was it a freak thing, or lacewood that fragile

Dave
Back to top Go down
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Crap!!!!!!!!   Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:20 am

I've made a couple of hairsticks out of lacewood. It is a little fragile. Don't know that I would have considered it that fragile. I've heard that some people have problems with the sawdust from this having prickly fibers that get into the skin and cause irritation.
Back to top Go down
Southernlyon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Crap!!!!!!!!   Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:12 am

I've run into a similar problem although rarely with a "real" wood- usually with the-wood-product-known-as-dymondwood. I can usually attribute it to one of two things 1.) Drill press speed set too high or 2.) Too much pressure on the wood. Using the drill press I barely engage the cutting surface of the barrel trimmer on the wood.

Hope this is of some help.
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernlyondesigns.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crap!!!!!!!!   

Back to top Go down

Crap!!!!!!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Turning Talk-
Jump to: