Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Turning green oak

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Duane D

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2014-08-22

PostSubject: Turning green oak   Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:27 am

I was turning a large piece of very wet, green oak yesterday & all went well until I tried to remove the 8 screws used to hold the face plate. Everyone of them snapped (twisted off) when I tried to remove them. These were 1 & 1/2 inch wood screws. Should I be using a different type screw? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Turning green oak   Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:31 pm

I use to use the typical wood screws as well until I ran into the same problem of breaking off.  What I ended up doing is reaming out my face plate so it could easily accept a 1/4" slotted hex head lag screw.  I also purchased a matching driver bit to use in my drill or impact wrench.  This makes things a whole lot easier both in the mounting and the removal.  If you have the room to go larger in your face plate holes it will only make for stronger screws.

Dave
Back to top Go down
ddt

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: Turning green oak   Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:18 pm

try puting soap or bees wax on the screws before you run them in and they will come out easy
Back to top Go down
Duane D

PostSubject: Re: Turning green oak   Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:05 pm

Thanks, I've used soap on other projects, just didn't think of using it on this. I'll give that a try.
Back to top Go down
Duane D

PostSubject: Re: Turning green oak   Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:08 pm

Dave, what length lag screw do you use?
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 289

PostSubject: Re: Turning green oak   Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Duane,

It depends on the size of the project, but that one pictured is my usual go to at 1 1/2". If I were to to try and max out say around 14"-15" in diameter on a hollow form I think I would take it up a notch to 2". So far it's been all trial with no errors Very Happy

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turning green oak   

Back to top Go down

Turning green oak
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Turning Talk-
Jump to: