Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Here we go again....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Here we go again....   Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:24 pm

About a two weeks ago I was roughing out some wet bowl blanks and was really having issues with bogging down the motor.   Using my 3/8" bowl gouge I was literally bringing the motor to a stop taking about a 1/4" cut.  And no the belt was not just slipping.  I opened the door to verify the motor pulley was actually coming to a stop.  Fast forward to this past weekend and I'm back in the shop turning some stoppers and other smaller things.  While sanding one of the stoppers at around 500 rmp I reached for the hand wheel to bring it to a quicker stop, and boy did it ever.  The following is done at 3 times the stopper speed and with the belt on the high setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VvQQd7cpQ

I'm looking for any input as to what may be causing this, motor, inverter, user lol.  I should also mention that the front motor bearing has developed a slight clicking noise as of this weekend. According to Jet, the motor bearing is shot.

Dave
Back to top Go down
badlutz

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Here we go again....   Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 pm

I would go with the motor is going bad. What was the conclusion?
Josh
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Here we go again....   Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 pm

$324 and a new motor is delivered to the door. Going to take a few bowls to make up this one.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Here we go again....   

Back to top Go down

Here we go again....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-
Jump to: