Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

16" is fun, but how about bigger....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: 16" is fun, but how about bigger....   Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:28 pm

Those who made it to last months meeting saw this in person. Since then I have painted it and remounted it on the lathe. For anyone not in the know, it is my solution to doing larger bowls with a very stable outboard turning stand. Max diameter will be in the 36" range.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Scott H.

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-11-02

PostSubject: Great Off-End Tool Rest Dave!   Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:25 am

Dave, I like your solution to turning larger diameter stock off the end of your lathe. (You must have some welding experience) I was contemplating using a stand a lone tri-pod to accomplish the same, but I like your design much better.

Nice job!

Scott H.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: 16" is fun, but how about bigger....   Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Scott,

I too almost went with a stand alone.  My biggest problem was the expense in purchasing one, even when it was used.  All told I have about $80 in materials in this build.  I do have a harbor freight flux wire welder which has helped me through a few projects.  They may not be the prettiest of weld beads, but they work for me.  I found this design while searching the net and decided to give it a go.  All in all it works rather well.  My only real complaint is the tightening method.  Having to grab a wrench every time I want to re-adjust is a bit tiresome.  Other than that I'll be happy until I can afford a true bowl lathe.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 16" is fun, but how about bigger....   

Back to top Go down

16" is fun, but how about bigger....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-
Jump to: