Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

hellooooo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chsdiyer

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-09-28

PostSubject: hellooooo   Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:42 am

Sooo, i'm wanting to get into wood turning. For a few reason. One I always found my ceramics class in high school to be fun, I enjoy picking at things, and mainly at this time, I need help. I have an old house that i'm putting a new stair case in and I also have a few old heart pine beams. I'd like to make my newels from these beams. However, I have no lathe or experience using one and was wondering if anyone here would be so kind as to let me use theirs and maybe give me some guidance. If so would you let me know?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: hellooooo   Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:55 am

First off...Welcome to the forums.

I think doing your own newels would be really cool. The question to be asked is how long would they be? I can vouch for everyone in the club that we all have different size length lathes, so finding someone with the length you need would be the trick. I for example can only go 42" between centers on my Jet. I'm currently in a production run, but if my lathe would do the job I'll have some free time coming in the not to distant future. I'll send you a message with my number, feel free to call so we can talk.

Dave
Back to top Go down
chsdiyer

PostSubject: Re: hellooooo   Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:12 am

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the offer, i really appreciate it! Unfortunately I think I am going to end up needing about a 48" capability.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: hellooooo   Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:05 am

Ok that helps. Let me make a couple calls around the club and see if I can come up with something for you.

Dave
Back to top Go down
chsdiyer

PostSubject: Re: hellooooo   Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:08 am

awesome...thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: hellooooo   Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:03 pm

The only thing I can pull off is to borrow a bed extension that would fit my lathe. Main problem with this is it would require making a leg to support the other end.

Dave
Back to top Go down
chsdiyer

PostSubject: Re: hellooooo   Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Hey, sorry Dave, I hadn't realized you replied. I hate for you to have to go through all that trouble, but I really appreciate you looking into it. I'm thinking maybe i'd be better off just making a squared newel from the beams I have and then make a decorative top piece that I could attach after. I'm just not sure what design would be appropriate. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: hellooooo   Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Hmm, that's a tough one. I guess it would depend on what you like and how complicated you want to get. A pineapple look may be cool. It would require turning the basic shape and then some carving detail. Just a thought.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hellooooo   

Back to top Go down

hellooooo
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Turning Talk-
Jump to: