Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Lathe Bed Maintenance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Lathe Bed Maintenance   Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:58 pm

Seems like I can't keep the ways dry lately, or the stuff I'm using to protect it is just not lasting as long as it did during the summer. So I ponder, what do you all like to put on your ways to protect from moisture, and keep things sliding?
Back to top Go down
Southernlyon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Little green turtle   Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:19 am

When I had my shop in Durham I had very poor control over the elements- the shop was literally in an old barn. I used turtlewax there on everything- just to keep the rust at bay, and have done the same thing here on my lathe with deccent results. I re-wax about every 6 months or more frequently if something has been rained on.

At Woodcraft for the tools on the showroom floor we used Briwax.
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernlyondesigns.com
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Bed Maintenance   Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:42 am

Southernlyon wrote:
When I had my shop in Durham I had very poor control over the elements- the shop was literally in an old barn. I used turtlewax there on everything- just to keep the rust at bay, and have done the same thing here on my lathe with deccent results. I re-wax about every 6 months or more frequently if something has been rained on.

At Woodcraft for the tools on the showroom floor we used Briwax.

Does that work when you got someone leaning all over your lathe too Laughing ummmm Fred, just showing the love ❤
Back to top Go down
Scott H.

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-11-02

PostSubject: Highly Recommended Rust Preventative: T-9 Boeshield   Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:07 pm

Fellow Woodturners and general tool enthusiasts of all kinds:

I saw this subject and wanted to pass along my recommendation for a rust and corrosion preventative and lubricant called "T-9 Boeshield". This product has outperformed all others I've tried in terms of its effectiveness and durability - it is truly amazing stuff. Case study:  I lived in the Florida Keys from 2001 to 2004.  Shortly after moving there my tools began to rust at an alarming rate.  Especially the cast table top of my bandsaw, jig saw, etc... One of the locals suggested I just concede to slathering my tools with copious amounts of furniture paste wax, WD-40, Corrosion Block and 3-in-1 oil.  All tried, all lasted no more than a week before surface rust would reappear. Then I was introduced to an $11.00 can of T-9 Boeshield. LIFE CHANGING!!!

After coating my bandsaw table with T-9 Boeshield in 2002 it never rusted again. So it's been 11 years and I still have the same bandsaw table with no rust.  I now use it on just about everything metal including my lathe ways, banjo, tailstock, bicycle chains, rifles, hand-planes, etc...

Great Stuff!  I recommend you give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Bogie

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-01-15

PostSubject: as ggod as T-9?   Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:24 am

Mineral oil is used in butcher shops for all things metal. Works well. Won't last 11 years!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lathe Bed Maintenance   

Back to top Go down

Lathe Bed Maintenance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-
Jump to: