Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sharpening with the vari-grind...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Sharpening with the vari-grind...   Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Having all the talk about sharpening at the demo the other day I thought I would share where I set the vari-grind for my tools. Like Glenn, I too hold the tool up high with one hand, I put my other hand on the jig and use this hand for all the movement (swing). My hand on the tool keeps control on how much pressure is being presented at the wheel while keeping the leg down in the pocket. When grinding bowl gouges, I actually pull back a little on the handle to keep from grinding the tip to fast. For most of your grinding, you only need the weight of the tool against the wheel. Putting to much pressure behind your tool will mess things up real quick.

First off I currently only use two different positions with the vari-grind. With both of these settings I prefer to have 2" of tool protrusion from the vari-grind. This helps keep you from hitting the jig into the wheel while swinging your tools. Thanks to my friend up in Ohio, I now have 2 jigs to make sharpening a tad bit quicker. In the first pic, they look to be set up about the same. The top one I use for my 1/2" and 1/4" spindle gouges. The bottom one is set for my detail gouge, 3/8" spindle gouge, and my "V-Shaped" bowl gouges.

The Top Jig: I set this one just like Doug Thompson does with his tools. The leg is positioned at the half way point, with the top of the leg even to the top of the middle notch. This is a great over all position that still allows for some side grinding of the wings. In this position I use to grind my 5/8" bowl gouge wings back about 3/4", this was the standard before opting to go to my other set up.

The Bottom Jig: After having the opportunity to talk with Jimmy Clewes when he did the demo up at MannTools, I came home to try Jimmy's setting. Jimmy likes to set the leg so that the screw itself is positioned centered to the second notch up from the bottom. I gave this a go for a while, but realized it was tricky to put back to the exact spot time after time. I had noticed the leg was just a tad higher than the top of the 3rd notch, so I decided to give it a go with the leg even with the top of 3rd notch from the bottom. The difference if any was not noticeable to both the eye or the cut. In this position it allows for the longer swept back wing grind that I prefer, but you can also keep the wings shorter by not swinging the tool as far as I do.

Hand positions: Like Glenn said you need to get your stance right, and have free movement. Using the jig makes it a bit harder in my opinion when you have a long handled tool. With that said, what I do is slightly different. First, after adjusting the position of the pocket to match the nose bevel of your tool, always start your grind on the side not the nose! Starting on the nose may cause you to eat away the steel to quick. With the smaller length tools I can swing them from one side to the other nice and smooth. The bowl gouges are not as easy to do this with, so I work the side grind then ease it just beyond the nose and then pull the tool away from the wheel. I then switch to the other side and work the side and then just around the nose again. If all goes right with the initial set up of the pocket, it only takes a couple passes on each side to put a nice clean cutting edge back on. Hint: When grinding the sides a slight back and forth rocking motion seems to work best. If time permits I'll give a quick demo of this at the July meeting.

Start on side:

Just around the nose and pulled back:

Other side:

Swinging just around the nose before I pull it back and away:

I hope this is use full, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. Remember, this is how I go about it. You need to experiment and find what works for you as well.

Dave
Back to top Go down

Sharpening with the vari-grind...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-
Jump to: