Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Being new to turning

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CaptRon1953

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-04-27

PostSubject: Being new to turning   Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 pm

I have a few equipment questions. I have a friend who started turning a year ago and he gave me some advice on what not to get. Good data for me, now I am looking for some recommendations on what to look for in a lathe. I'd appreciate any info but I would ask that you "sell" the pro's and con's. I don't want to turn columns for buildings, but I would like to do at least a 12 inch capacity with a 16-20 inch between centers , with the capacity to add a bed extension to 38-40 inches, I have always wanted to turn a bat. I would like to give pens and bowls a try, but my question is mainly about the lathe as the starting point. I need to get the basic turning methods with the different tools at least to where I can identify the difference between a gouge and a skew. ( I do know that one, just saying)

Fire away, any input would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Being new to turning   Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:55 pm

If your thinking of going with a mini lathe the usual suspects come to mind, Jet, Rikon, General, Delta.... but the one I would have to recommend is the Delta 46-460: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2064108/26249/DELTA-VariableSpeed-Midi-Lathe--1212-Model-46460.aspx?refcode=05INFROO&gdd=843625

A couple of our members have this model, and I personally have had the chance to play on one. The $600 price tag may seem a bit scary, but what you get in return is worth it. First off a true 1hp motor, 12 1/2" swing (though you'll be just shy of that in real diameter), 16 1/2" between centers, electric variable speed with a low end of 250rpm, 1" x 8 tpi spindle for the most common size, #2 morse taper, solid cast iron bed, it's extendable, and it reverses. It is a well built machine, that was done with input from woodturners. It would do you fine for turning pens (or any of the kit stuff), boxes, bowls, small platters/plates, and even hollow forms (these done with hand tools not the hollowing rigs, unless you extend it).

The con: It's a mini, you can't forget that when going to turn on it. You need to mount it to a good stable stand/table to keep it from walking around when turning out of balanced pieces to start. It will handle 12" diameter, but the depth of said blank should not be to great, hence you'll wear the bearings quicker. Other than that, it is a great little lathe.

If you haven't picked up any books yet, you should check out barnes and noble. They carry a few, as does books-a-million. There are 3 that I recommend, but any one of them is a good start: Popular Mechanics workshop Lathe Fundamentals the complete guide by Rick Peters, Turning Wood with Richard Raffan, and Woodturning A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley. There are others that go into more specialized areas of turning, but you are looking for the basics. All three books I mentioned help you identify the gouges, sharpening, chucks and face plates, spindle turning basics (beads, coves, parting, etc.), bowl turning, and face turning. I believe they all offer some projects to try as well. I like to read and absorb info, so my library is always growing. Along with the books I purchase, I also pick up wood turning magazines when I see something I find interesting.

Ron if you want to get a look at the Delta, I could probably set something up with Terry from the club. Just let me know.

BTW, I'm spinning everything on a Jet 1642 these days Smile

Dave
Back to top Go down
TT

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-12-25

PostSubject: new to turning   Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:49 am

Dave that will be fine.
Back to top Go down
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Being new to turning   Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:42 am

I turned for several years on a Jet mini. It was (and still is) a good lathe that took everything I threw at it. It's not a bad way to get started. I now have the Delta 46-460 that Dave mentioned. It was a big upgrade from the mini, and should keep me happy for years to come, until I can afford a full sized lathe.

Yes it's not cheap at $600. It's also new enough that you are unlikely to find one on the used market. The Jet mini's are more commonly found on the market in this area. Don't know if it's still there, but there was a Jet mini variable speed at the Money Man pawn shop in Summerville just off I-26. Looked to be in good shape, although I didn't run it. Had a price tag of under $200.

After you've been turning a while, you will know better what you want.
Back to top Go down
CaptRon1953

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Being new to turning   Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:54 pm

The Jet is at my house now. I think it will serve as a great starter, I didn't have to put much into it. I do need to find a live center for the tailstock, then some tools, but it runs at all of the speeds and doesn't vibrate. Thanks for the heads up. cheers
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Being new to turning   Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Ron,

If you give Jet call 1-800-274-6848 you can order a live center from them. Here's a little hint though, the live center from the 16" lathe is a lot like the oneway center, but a heck of a lot cheaper. It will be about 2" or so longer than the stander live center. It comes with the standard tip, small cone, and knock out bar. To this you can add the large cone, and you can also use oneway's 60 degree pen turning tip. As of last summer the Jet one was running around $23 +shipping.

For tools on a budget, I recommend harbor freights red handle set of 8: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-speed-steel-turning-set-35444.html These are a great starter set, and for the price you can afford to loose some steel while getting your sharpening skills up to par.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Gary

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Being new to turning   Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:02 pm

The jet will work as a great starter lathe. Once you get a little experience with it and find out what type of turnings you perfer you may want to get a larger more powerful lathe. There is a good chance you may be satisfied with the mini. As far as tools go I started with cheap tools so I wouldn't feel too bad if I ruined some while learning sharpening. The cheapest hss tools you can find are the harbor freight red handled set and ben's best from penn state industries. You will find the quality control varies a lot on the cheaper tools. Everyone in the club has serveral different brands for various reasons. You almost have to have a spindle gouge and a parting tool to start with. Everything else is optional. Penn state is also a good place to get an inexpensive live center.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Being new to turning   Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:04 pm

Went ahead and snapped a pic for you. The one on the bottom is the standard live center from Jet. Every thing from the knock out bar and above is the one from the Jet 1642, except for the silver 60 degree cone. That Cone tip is oneways, you use it primarily with a mandrel.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Being new to turning   

Back to top Go down

Being new to turning
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Turning Talk-
Jump to: