Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Meetings?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Meetings?   Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:57 pm

Hey guys,
I hope everyone is doing well. When and where are the meetings these days? Are they still at the high school? Who's in charge?
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Meetings?   Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Ashley,

They are on the 3rd Wed. of each month, start time is 6:30p. We are still meeting at Garrett.

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meetings?   Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:21 am

Thanks for the response, Dave. I'll see y'all there in April - as long as I'm in town that week (which I should be). I've missed you guys. The place I was working on Wednesdays closed, so I can finally start coming to meetings! Are you ever looking for someone to demonstrate? Are there dues yet?

If you ever consider making a road trip, you should check out the Asheville club. They meet on Saturdays, so I won't be able to go myself, but they have some fantastic demonstrators lined up for this year. They're very accommodating to visitors, as well.

On Saturdays starting on April 9, I will have my mini-lathe at the Farmer's Market in Marion Square for live demonstrations. I wanted to request that the Charlestowne Woodturners recognize my demonstrations and presence at the Farmer's Market as a chapter sponsored event. I am, of course, not seeking any kind of payment. This recognition would allow me (or anyone else in the chapter who seeks to demonstrate in public) to have liability coverage through the AAW. Would that be something that comes from you, or should I contact someone else in the club?
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Meetings?   Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Ashley,

I need to look into the whole liability thing. Are you currently a member of the AAW? I'll give Charlie a call and see what is what.

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Meetings?   Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey Dave,
Yes, I am a member. Here's the info:
http://www.woodturner.org/org/mbrship/insurance/liability_2009.pdf
All I need would be for whoever is in charge (the President) to state in writing that my demonstrations are a sanctioned Charlestowne Woodturners chapter activity. That's all. I just need it in writing.
Thanks,
Ashley
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Meetings?   Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:01 pm

Ashley,

Having talked with all the officers in the club, we have decided that this is not something we wish to delve into at this time. The main problem we have with it is the fact that we have a few members who are involved with markets and craft shows. These people also have the ability to demo where they are as well, and if we sanction one, then we would have to sanction all. We are a bit concerned as to what this could lead to. This also needs to be investigated further with the AAW as to whether or not they would allow it, being those at market/shows are there for profit and we are a non-profit club. The main purpose of the liability plan, is to cover all those in attendance at meetings. It also is for when a member or a group of members from the club do an event outside of a meeting, but this is more or less a one or two day thing. What you are asking is for coverage of the whole time frame that the market is open downtown. This is really stretching the purpose of the coverage. The best thing we can suggest is to look into personal insurance, which you should really have anyway if your running a business. Being a member of the AAW you should be aware that they offer an insurance plan that covers those in business for a rather low rate.

I have to ask though, why the sudden need for it? Have you been approached by the city as to whether or not you are covered? I personally like the idea of doing something with a woodturning demo, but it would have to be done as a group thing. We can pick a day and bring a couple lathes down and have at it as a club if you like. Try to come to the April meeting, we can discuss this some more with all that show.

On another note: I'd love to check out the Asheville Club one of these days. I wouldn't mind relocating in that area once the kids are done with high school as well. There just seems to be better and more plentiful wood in NC. As far as demonstrator's, we are always willing to have someone do one, as long as it's free hi The club dues are still the same, a mere $25 for the year. The club now owns 6 rikon mini's, and we still have access to the schools Jet 16 for the time being.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meetings?   

Back to top Go down

Meetings?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Turning Talk-
Jump to: