Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Captive hollowing rig

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Captive hollowing rig   Fri May 07, 2010 10:38 am

I stopped by the hardware store yesterday and bought a "short length" of 3/4" round bar. I then stopped by Dave's house, and we started on the journey to each of us making a captive hollowing rig. We ended up with another trip to the hardware store and spent the better part of an hour trying to get a piece of 1/2" black pipe to slide nicely into a piece of 3/4" black pipe. I especially like part where we mounted the short piece of pipe between centers and used sandpaper to bring the diameter down ever so little. No pics yet.

More to follow.
Back to top Go down
djesde

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-01-04

PostSubject: Captive hollowing rig   Wed May 12, 2010 7:16 pm

What do you use Captive hollowing rig for? Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Thu May 13, 2010 7:41 am

Hollowing!

Seriously, a captive rig uses a guide rail to take all the torsional stress (twisting motion) off the tool when hollowing. I've never used one, but most of the chatter on the net says that it makes hollowing almost effortless. There is the added benefit of being able to attach a laser guide to the rig which takes the guess work out of where the hollowing tip is.

A quick update: Dave and I got together the other day and made a little more progress. We got the plans a little farther down the road. Cut some steel and welded the main support to the base plate on both our systems. I discovered I really don't like cutting steel. I also discovered that I am a woodworker and not a welder. The welds were really nasty looking. Still, they should be plenty strong enough, and I am getting better. I'll try and remember to bring the camera with me next time we work on it.

Dave was supposed to try making some 90ยบ bends in the D handle material yesterday. No report yet on whether he had success.

I'm beginning to think the price for the completed rig is actually a bargain compared to the time spent making one yourself. Remember grasshopper: It is the journey and not the destination.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Fri May 14, 2010 2:38 am

Ahhhh, but Doug, it is time well spent!

Dave
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Fri May 14, 2010 9:48 am

Quote :
Ahhhh, but Doug, it is time well spent!

I believe that was my point with the journey analogy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:11 am

We need to get back on this one. I'll call Fred and see if he's ready to give the bending a try.

Dave
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:40 am

Yeah, I was gonna call you this week, but I've been busy fixing cars, getting old cars hauled off, etc. If the bending doesn't work well, we can just weld them. Let me know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Well, we are slowly making progress. I've been having a lot of trouble learning to weld with a wire fed welder. Anyway the bases and just finished the Ds.

Not pretty welds, but they should hold fine. If we are lucky we may have something to show next meeting.
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:48 am

Another quick update:

Things are moving along. Dave and I went by the hardware store yesterday and picked up the rest of the materials we needed for the rigs. Measured cut and drilled the handle guide assembly. BTW, Dave, I hand drilled mine last night and it went quick and smooth.

Anyway, things are starting to look like a real hollowing rig. Hoping to get things up and running in a week or so. Then on to the laser guide assembly.

FWIW be sure and hash out what you need before taking Dave into a hardware store. It can be embarrassing to have your buddy going back and forth about what he wants when you are at the counter ordering your steel. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:02 pm

My bad, the mind just wasn't working right yesterday.

Doug, I think I figured out the drill press. I found 2 things, 1. one of the wire connectors was a tad loose, 2. the speed we were set for was a tad to fast. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

As for the captive part of this journey, I thought a picture was in order. Mind you, it still needs to be welded to the base.

Definitely sturdy enough going the route of nuts and bolts instead of welding the ends. This will also allow for minor adjustments in the spacers to get the over all space between rails just right.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:25 am

Almost finished....

Doug's

Mine

Need to make the boring bars and cutter assembly.

Dave
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:41 pm

I guess I'm gong to have to wait until Jan to use mine. My lathe is too short to use this system. I plan to get an extension in Jan. I tried making a support that bolts onto the end of the lathe to get an extra 6". Not enough. Thought about using a Delta mini extension I have until then, but the mounting holes don't match up. Just have to be patient.
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:46 am

I'm hollowing!

Only the bottom 5 inches or so, but I'm hollowing.

It really takes a lot of the effort out of it. Instead of a double handled death grip on the tool, it just takes a light touch. It is a little noisy. The solid rod amplifies vibration.

I like it. Can't wait to get into full length mode and get the laser up and running.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:37 pm

Doug,

Talked with Sid last night. He said he's close to getting my boring bar and cutters completed. When do you want to get to work on the laser attachment? Should we wait until after X-mas?

I've been busy turning stoppers and acorn boxes, haven't really had a chance to play with the hollower. If you want your bar anytime soon, just give me a call.

Dave
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:47 am

My laser rig is finished. I used 3/8" rod and welded up some couplers. I picked up a real cheapo laser pointer at Wallyworld. Won't get a chance to try it out til this weekend when I get my boring bar back. I'll try and take some pics then. It has a little bit of wobble to it. May or may not be a problem in use. Easy enough to redo parts of it in heavier material if need be.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Fri May 13, 2011 2:06 am

Ok, so I had a small issue with the rig, it's been way to bouncy. After some looking over I realized that the handle and boring bar were not making a straight line. I might have welded my coupling on a bit off. Well had Doug over today and between the two of us standing on it, we were able to bend it back straight. Back to smooth cutting again! I might have a small form to bring into the meeting if it doesn't crack into pieces before then. Doug I reshaped the outside a tad, and took it to final thickness just for the experience. Almost no chatter or high pitched noise the entire hollowing. Thanks Bud!

Dave
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 am

Glad you reshaped it. I thought it needed a little tweaking.

I went ahead and cut down on the length of the cutter in mine. It is noticeably quieter and better control than before. I just had too much cutter sticking out which increased chatter and torque.

It's good that you are happy with the rig now. I would hate to have spent that much effort on something that was going to sit gathering dust. Not that it hasn't happened to me before.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Being to hot to spend any real time at the lathe, and having just wasted way to much time adjusting my previous laser set up during a hollowing....I decided to re-vamp the holder itself. I originally had a T at the end of the pipe with a smaller section that slid through the T, and a set screw to hold it in place. The problem I was having was that every time I went to tighten down the set screw, the small piece of pipe the laser was mounted in would slip just a bit and throw everything off. So back to the drawing board I went. I was already planning on welding a flat piece of metal to the top of the arm in order to attach my battery pack with some velcro. After some thought I came up with extending this flat over the end of the arm, and making a pivot point for the smaller laser arm. A quick trip to lowes for the bar stock, and then some temporary scavenging of some parts and this is what I came up with. That T-track stuff sure comes in handy.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Captive hollowing rig   

Back to top Go down

Captive hollowing rig
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-
Jump to: