Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Southernlyon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:32 am

I've been asked to make a conductors baton. It's about 14"long, and 1/4" in diameter at its widest point. (yes, I did say widest) After that it quickly tapers to 5/64th of an inch. The "thin" part is about 11" long. I've attempted 2 out of Holly, b/c it's springy and has a nice look. Springy, however, has been a downfall. The whip I'm getting in the center is unbelieveable. I'm trying to support the spindle right behind where I'm taking the cut, but have not yet had a sucessful result. Next attempt (number 3) will include: 1. Switching to silver maple 2. Mounting the blank in a four jawed chuck.

Any reccomendations for keeping the work piece steady or turning down the shaft that far would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks!
-Anna
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernlyondesigns.com
Gary

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:11 am

Are using a skew or gouge? The skew should have less pushing force. Since you are supporting the cut the only other suggestions I can think of would be one or more spindle steady or starting with a thicker piece of stock and only work 1 or 2 inches at a time.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:16 am

Anna, this more likely will require the use of a spindle steady. I have Fred's old one in the garage, but i'm heading out of town till thurs. night. If there is no rush we could get together when i get back.
Back to top Go down
DougB

Number of posts : 126

PostSubject: Re: Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:30 am

I've turned some hairsticks for my daughter. The flex is a problem. I used my Nova chuck to hold the stock. I roughed out the whole thing, but left it thick enough to support itself. I then worked from the tailstock end towards the headstock, getting close to final size as I worked. You can do some final thinning with sandpaper regardless of how thin it is. I destroyed several in the learning process. I think a spindle steady would be the way to go, if you have one. You might want to make a small wooden cup in the live center to hold the piece at the tailstock end. I never did that, but think it would be a good idea. The other option would be to turn the end so that it will fit in the live center with the pin removed. You would have to part it from the piece in the live center when you are done.

Back to top Go down
ddt

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:48 am

anna
have you tryed to remove the pin from your live center and use that as a rest
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?   Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:29 pm

ddt wrote:
anna
have you tryed to remove the pin from your live center and use that as a rest

Hmmm, looks like you were a bit slow on the keyboard again, doug beat you to it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?   Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:17 pm

So, what was the result? Did you manage to successfully make your baton? I have a person at work that would like one, and I'm playing around with an idea or two I think will work. I'll try it out tomorrow. Talk to you about it Wed.
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?   Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:44 pm

OK, tried it today. Not as slick as I would have liked the first time around, but it works.

Back to top Go down
Southernlyon

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?   Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 pm

Haven't had a chance to try out the latest ideas yet. but I'll bring the one that I've been asked to duplicate to the meeting tonight
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernlyondesigns.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?   

Back to top Go down

Verrrrry thing long spindle- any sugestions?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Turning Talk-
Jump to: