Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Anybody make a screwdriver?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Anybody make a screwdriver?   Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:56 am

I took a 1/4" octagonal bit holder and turned a nice handle for it. I drilled the end and set the holder in the handle. It holds a screwdriver bit well and feels good in the hand. The holder I used was a little short. I'm not sure if the handle I made is the optimum form, or if there even is an optimum form.

Not a very good picture, but it was too cold to go out in the shop tonight. Should be good enough to give you the idea. I might predrill the blank and then mount it on a shopmade 1/4" mandrel. This will keep the bore centered and straight. I drilled this one after turning the handle. The bit wandered a little when I started drilling. Not enough to affect functionality, but enough to look just a little off.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Anybody make a screwdriver?   Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:38 pm

Doug, that looks good to me. I have a plastic handled one that someone gave to me, the only real difference is the plastic handle looks a bit smaller in diameter than yours. With that said, it I think mine could use a bit more around the waist. It really depends on who it is intended for, if your making one for someone with football size hands go wider, for the petite ladys go smaller, when in doubt the middle of the road is best.
Back to top Go down
ddt

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: Anybody make a screwdriver?   Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:25 pm

loks great to me
skiny hande dont like big handel better
you did good dough Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gary

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: Anybody make a screwdriver?   Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:31 pm

That is a nice looking screwdriver. I made one yesterday out of scrap and without the ferrel. Going to use it a little and see if it holds up. If it does I'll take more time with the next one. It is a cheap project now. Harbor Freight has the 2" and 6" bit holders on sale for $1.99.
Back to top Go down
Richy2

Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: Anybody make a screwdriver?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:00 am

Doug, Nice job the screw driver looks like it would just fit my hand better then the small ones you buy from HF Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Anybody make a screwdriver?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:31 am

I see that Highland hardware has kits made specifically for this kind of project. It has the two ended screwdriver bits with phillips on one end, and slothead on the other. That might be a good choice if you were making one for a gift. I think they run about $6. I also found out you have to epoxy the shaft in. I made it originally with just a really tight fit. It worked fine until I tried it on a difficult screw. It quickly started slipping in the mount. I have the epoxy setting as we speak. I'll try it out tomorrow and see if the epoxy holds. It should.
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Anybody make a screwdriver?   Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Here's the latest. I used the hardware from a HF screwdriver.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody make a screwdriver?   

Back to top Go down

Anybody make a screwdriver?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Turning Talk-
Jump to: