Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Spraying lacquer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Spraying lacquer   Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:28 pm

I got a coupon from Harborfreight for their small detail spray gun. I had looked at them in the store and been thinking about picking one up and trying my hand at spraying brushing lacquer. FWIW it is difficult to impossible getting non-waterborne spraying lacquer these days. The coupon pushed me over the edge and I picked the spray gun up the other day. I picked up some thinner and tried it out yesterday. I was very happy with the results. I still need to play around with the settings, as well as the viscosity of the lacquer. Despite being an inexpensive tool, I found the pattern to be good, as well as control. It only takes 3 CFM to run, and doesn't throw out that much paint, but is well suited, IMO, for turnings.

Spalted maple with sprayed lacquer. Wet sanded when dry with 2000 grit W/D. I decided not to buff it for now.
Back to top Go down
Gary

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: Spraying lacquer   Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:25 pm

I don't know how you can improve the finish on items you have been bringing to the meetings, but have fun trying.
gary
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Spraying lacquer   Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:29 pm

It's not so much about improving the results, although I definitely have room for improvement. It's more about cost and time. I've been wiping on the first coat or two, then using rattle can lacquer, sanding between coats. The rattle can lacquer is convenient, but expensive. The whole process is time consuming. I'm hoping I will like this better. I also want to try spraying shellac.

Thought I would post this in case anyone was looking for an inexpensive small spray gun.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Spraying lacquer   Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:11 pm

Now that it is sprayed, have you taken it to the buffer yet? Just an idea.

Dave
Back to top Go down
DougB

PostSubject: Re: Spraying lacquer   Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:19 am

I think I'll leave it satin. Most of my HFs are buffed after wet sanding to 1200 or 2000. I believe I'll try a few non glossy.
Back to top Go down
Dave W

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Spraying lacquer   Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Soooooo...... What your really trying to say here is stock up on the oil based. hi

I think it will all work out in the long run. There is always room for improvement, and with enough feed back they will eventually get it as close to oil as they can.

Dave
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spraying lacquer   

Back to top Go down

Spraying lacquer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Tool Talk-
Jump to: