Charlestowne Woodturners

A club for those turning, or wanting to learn woodturning in the Charleston SC area.
The Charlestowne Woodturners are meeting at JMO Woodworks, 70 Romney St., Charleston, SC 29403. On the 3rd Wednesday night of each month from 6:30pm-9:00pm.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Buffing??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Richy2

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-11-20

PostSubject: Buffing??   Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:31 am

Now for my next question, I used some spray laquear on one of the boxes I made. It is shiny, but should I buff it too??

Back to top Go down
DougB

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Buffing??   Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:36 am

That, of course, is up to you. It all depends on what kind of finish you want to put on it. If you are happy with the finish it has now, then leave it. If you want a high gloss mirror finish then you may want to buff it. I usually level the surface before buffing. This can be done with either high grit sandpaper (wet sanding works better here), or steel wool.

Some people use a multi-step buffing system that can level a certain amount of imperfection in the surface. Usually there are three steps of buffing, a somewhat aggressive abrasive, a fine polishing abrasive and a wax. They must be used with separate buffing wheels. Nothing puts a mirror finish on a piece like a properly buffed lacquer finish.
Back to top Go down

Buffing??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Charlestowne Woodturners  :: Woodturning Gerneral :: Finishing-
Jump to: